Our skin is our largest organ, and as such requires a consistent skincare routine to keep it functioning at an optimal level. Yet this is something we can tend to let fall by the wayside.
Hands up if you’re guilty of these skin sins:
- Crashing at night without taking your make-up off
- Skipping the daily SPF treatment
- Eating processed food more than three times a week
- Opting for soda, coffee, and tea over water when you’re feeling dehydrated
Um. Guilty as charged!
While we don’t see the effects of our poor skincare choices immediately, they compound over time and reveal themselves years weeks, months, even years into the future. Take a second to consider your current skincare routine (if you have one). Is it working to enhance or detract from your skin’s potential?While we don't see the effects of our poor #skincare choices immediately, they compound over time and reveal themselves years weeks, months, even years into the future. #skincaretips Click To Tweet
If you feel like you’ve got a bit of work to do in the skincare department, never fear! Prevention is better than cure. And even if you’ve already done some damage, you can definitely stop it from getting worse.
Follow our 4 big steps to help you hack your skincare routine, no matter how involved or non-existent it is.
SKINCARE ROUTINE STEP #1: FOLLOW CONSISTENTLY
As with all habits, sticking to a consistent skincare routine produces results over the long-term. This compounding effect only happens if you perform the same actions over and over again, which means that cleansing your face every Monday morning and then forgetting about it for the rest of the week isn’t going to cut it.
Obviously every act taken to improve your life is positive. And a face you’ve cleansed and hydrated is going to be grateful no matter when you do it. But for true transformation, your skin needs time. So the kindest thing you can do is to nurture it – look after it every day without fail, and it will repay you with a glow you and your friends will notice before too long!The kindest thing you can do for your skin is nurture it every day without fail – it will repay you with a glow you and your friends will notice before too long! #skincaretips Click To Tweet
SKINCARE ROUTINE STEP #2: KEEP IT SIMPLE
While the number one key to hacking a skincare routine is consistency, you also don’t want to overwhelm yourself with the expectation of a daily habit and having to make the right product choices. If you’re familiar with the skincare aisle at your local supermarket or pharmacy, you’d be very aware of how overwhelming those shelves are. Every brand is fighting for your attention and it feels like they’re pushing new products every other month!
For an A+ skincare routine, you only need four basic ingredients to start with. We recommend focusing on these first before getting more involved:
Once you’ve managed to consistently tick those four off, morning and night (sunscreen only in the morning), you can start adding in these extras:
- Serum/Retinol/Facial oil
- Eye serum
- Eye cream
The key to how involved your skincare habit-building should be is to be honest about your current situation. If your skincare routine is haphazard – or doesn’t exist at all – then going from nothing to everything isn’t going to work in the long-term.
Practise patience, know that everything positive step you take morning and night is improving your skin, and look forward to when you can confidently start introducing the advanced products. It’s like levelling up!Practise patience, know that everything positive step you take morning and night is improving your skin, and look forward to when you can confidently start introducing the advanced products. #skincaretips Click To Tweet
SKINCARE ROUTINE STEP #3: PINPOINT YOUR SPECIFIC SKINCARE ISSUES
While the four basic ingredients to an A+ skincare routine are clear-cut, choosing the right version of each for your specific skin type isn’t so much.
There are FIVE categories of skin yours will fall under:
Knowing the differences between each type will make customising your routine so much easier. You can focus purely on the products that are designed with your skin in mind.
Click here for a comprehensive Healthline article that breaks down each of the skin types.
SKINCARE ROUTINE STEP #4: LOOK AT THINGS YOU CAN DO OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM
All those things you know you should (but aren’t) doing for general health, fitness, and tidiness? Turns out they’re double-duty tasks – they also look after your skin! If you’ve comfortably ticked off the first three steps on this list, start looking outside the bathroom walls, and at your general daily habits. Which of these are you doing consistently?
- Changing bed linen weekly
- Staying hydrated to maximise energy
- Eating clean, unprocessed foods
- Taking supplements like Collagen or Omega 3
- Exercising 30 minutes daily
- Smiling more than frowning
- Sleeping 7-9 hours each night for consistent cell renewal
Tracking your habits is a true eye-opener. If you’re 100% honest with your observations, you’ll be able to spot the gaps in your daily routine ASAP and start making changes. Consider using a habit and/or food tracker template – either in a journal, via a printable or through an app!
BONUS STEP: JOIN THE 30 DAY CHALLENGE (+WIN!)
We’ve designed a 30 Day Skincare Challenge to help you cement your skincare routine and get your skin glowing in only a month’s time! To win your 30 Day Skincare Challenge, do the following:
- Decide your steps for the challenge. Will you be starting with the basic four ingredients to an A+ skincare routine, or adding some more advanced elements? Make it clear with yourself what you expect to do consistently both morning and night.
- Download this FREE 30 Day Skincare Routine Challenge printable to keep you on track. You can even set it as your wallpaper as a constant reminder!
- Set an alarm morning and night to remind you it’s time to do your skincare routine. If you struggle to find time, look for the time-wasting spots in your day, and try to replace 1-2 of them with your routine.
- Find ways to make your skincare habit fun to implement. Listening to your favourite Spotify playlist is a guaranteed way to make your routine go quicker. Set a timer, Pomodoro-style and see how much you can fit into your session!
- Enter our GIVEAWAY of a Burt’s Bees lips balms gift pack! Click here for instructions on how to enter. The giveaway ends Feb 22nd, 2021.